Sunday, April 3, 2011

Turn That Weed Upside-Down

Let me start by warning you that this post may seem downright "giddy" - I am SO pleased with the results of my "natural materials" experiment that I can hardly contain myself.  My wife is sick of hearing "hey, come look at this!".

What do you see here?

If you answered "roots", you would be correct.  This is the root system of some woody plant that I yanked out of our garden today, washed to remove all of the dirt.  I see something more, however.  I see a tree.  I'm betting that if I turn this upside-down, place it just right, and maybe stick a moldy green rock in front of it, you too will see a tree.

Am I right?  Looks like a gnarled old tree in late fall/early winter, after all of its leaves have dropped off, doesn't it?  Let's pull a few more weeds and see what turns up...


Now we have the beginnings of a complete early-winter forest, made completely from stuff collected, literally, in the back yard.  All of the trees are roots, the rocks came from a landscaping stone smashed with a hammer, and the leafy covering on the forest floor is exactly that - crushed leaves left over from last fall.

In my last post, I said that I wanted to compare this method to the "green foam" method.  Seeing the two side-by-side, there's no comparison in my mind.  What do you think?


I'll be stripping off the green foam side and tossing it in the garbage - no more green foam for me.  Time to finish painting the backdrop, and then I have lots of weeds to pull.

Two more pictures, just because they're so awesome:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROOTS!  I killed my brain thinking how to make trees which would look natural... No parts of real trees were not useful for me, as my house models are tiny... You are my guiding Angel ! :) Thank you once again!

    ReplyDelete