Monday, December 26, 2011

A Look Down The Line At 2012

I've never been big on New Year's resolutions, setting goals, all that sort of thing, but something is compelling me to set some direction this year.  Maybe it's an attempt to focus my energy; I have quite a few "irons in the fire" right now.

2011 was a big year for me as a modeler:
  • First and foremost was the publication of my first magazine article.  This was a huge deal for me, and a it's a huge relief to be able to check it off the list.  I still prefer the blog as a means of publication, but there's something to be said for seeing your work in a mainstream magazine.
  • The second big achievement was getting a merit award for my produce warehouse, putting me one step closer to the MMR.
  • In August, I received the Meritorious Service Award for my volunteer efforts with the NMRA, an unexpected and very welcome surprise.
  • Last but not least, my Boxcar Full O' Buckets won first place in the Twin Cities Division's November modeling contest.
All in all, not a bad year.  I certainly have some momentum to carry me into 2012.  Looking ahead, there are some specific things that I would like to accomplish in the coming year.  By putting them here for everyone to see, I'm adding some accountability.  Y'all can help prod me along if I'm not getting the work done.
  • I'm very close to completing the Author Achievement for the MMR.  I want to complete this in 2012.
  • I want to publish at least 2 more articles in national magazines
  • I want to get something into Model Railroader, be it an article or a photo
  • This one's a given, but I want to attend the 2012 TLR convention in Sioux Falls
  • I want to complete two major structures for the layout.  One of these will be the depot that I'm currently building, the other is as yet undetermined, but possibly will be the Lakeside Inn.
  • I will be conducting my first clinic, two actually, for the Twin Cities Division, covering some of my scratchbuilding techniques.  If these go well, you may see me presenting at the 2013 regional convention!
That's probably enough for one year.  Gotta leave room for the "real" job in there somewhere, which brings along its own list of things to be done...

4 comments:

  1. Tracy,
    I received the latest RMC from my nephew, this was a special treat as it contained your article. You have accomplished quite a bit and you should add one more, you inspired a few of us to get things done.  I really think the Twin Cities Division will have a great series of clinics January through March I hope it encourages everyone to get their hands on the hobby.  Good plan for 2012, the 2013 Thousand Lakes Region convention could use a clinic from you then how about a National?
    Ken Zieska

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finally starting my own shelf layout. I must admit that you're layout gave me that extra "kick in the bu**" that I needed.

    I've got a question altought. I saw that you use foam, but what if underneath ? Do you have some cut-off diagram ? Did you used a hollow door ?

    Thanks

    Frederic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I've lost the photos showing the benchwork construction.  Under the foam is a standard 1"x4" L-girder ladder frame, suspended on heavy-duty shelf brackets.  The foam is glued to the top of the wood frame.

    ReplyDelete