Saturday, June 30, 2012

Installing Windows

No, not the PC operating system that we all love to hate, although that title should attract a whole new demographic to the blog.  Yes, I've installed that "version" of Windows many times, but that's not what this post is about.  This post is about windows that you look through, the type with glass in them.

There will be 13 windows in the depot, plus the bay window.  As with everything else, I'm trying to scratchbuild them instead of buying commercial windows.  Yes, I know I could buy something from Grandt Line and be done already, but that's not the point.  The point is to challenge myself and improve my modeling skills.  Popping a plastic window into a hole in the wall doesn't really do that.

So, in the interest of challenging myself, I'm doing this the hard way.  I'm using scale 1"x2" strip wood to build the upper and lower window sections.  Window glass will be added after these are painted.


These upper and lower sections will fit into individual window frames, built from scale 1"x6" strip wood.


The frames will, in theory, fit into the window openings cut into the depot walls.


Obviously, there will be some trimming and sanding needed, and possibly some foul language, to get them to fit just right.  I think the results will be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment