Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Gettin' Jiggy With It

Do the kids still say "jiggy"?  No?  Not in the past decade, you say?  Ok, so much for my attempt to sound cool.

I wrote yesterday about the upcoming TLR convention and the scenery clinic that I'll be presenting.  I'll be showing how to build a finished river crossing scene starting from a chunk of pink styrofoam.  As part of my presentation, I'll be showing partially completed pieces in various stages of completion.  Each of the pieces you see in this photo will eventually have some level of scenery and/or trackwork installed on them.


Naturally, a vital part of a river crossing scene is a bridge.  Without a bridge, you can't cross the river.  At this point, I'm thinking that at least three of the pieces in the previous photo will have a bridge on them.  That means I need to build three bridges, from scratch of course.  I figure I might as well try to get some MMR credit for this effort.

I've chosen to build a simple wooden trestle for the clinic.  I've never built a trestle before, from a kit or from scratch.  I do, however, know that when assembling the trestle bents, a jig (see what I did there, jig, jiggy, get it?) is essential, so I made one.  That's plastic cut from a large "For Rent" sign - the same sign that I've been cutting pieces from for the past two years.  How's that for cheap styrene?


Here's a completed trestle bent, ready for staining and the addition of some nut/bolt/washer castings.  Doesn't look too bad for a first attempt!



No comments:

Post a Comment