Monday, May 30, 2011

The Lakeside Inn

I've been wrestling with the decision of which structure to tackle next - the water tower, the sawmill, the Woodenware factory?  I think I've decided - the next structure will be the Lakeside Inn.  Due to its physical location on the layout, it makes sense to do this one next, plus I think it will be a fun one to build.

As with Johnson's Produce, I only have a single prototype photo to work from (taken from http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mnaitkin/hill_city.htm):

It's been miserably hot and humid here today, so I stayed indoors and work on some plans for the structure.  After multiple do-overs, here's what I've come up with for the front:

The side:


I also intend to detail the interior, with a twist - I plan to split the structure diagonally, so that the two walls visible in the prototype photo will lift away, revealing a diagonal cross-section of the interior, right down to the floor joists.

The ground floor layout:



The upstairs layout:


I'll be using Grandt Line windows (50 total) and doors.  I haven't decided yet if I'll use scribed sheeting for the walls, or it I'll do the board-by-board siding like I did on Johnson's Produce.  I have some experimentation to do before I make that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment